Hi Friends! I am so excited to bring you this amazing giveaway on the Parties On Purpose blog! I absolutely love desserts and I am a huge fan of the beauty of gorgeous dessert table. Just recently, I was at an event and was able to try a french macaron for the first time and it was love at first bite! The taste, the texture and of course the pretty yet simple look of the macaron made me a true fan!
That is why I am so happy to giveaway a new amazing book that was written and photographed by Mindy Cone called Gourmet French Macarons! Mindy is an entertaining, food, and party stylist on the blog Creative Juice. She writes about how to entertain your guests and kids with style and creativity! She shares diy tutorials, recipes, tips, tricks, and ideas to make your next event detailed, personalized, and of course creative! Gourmet French Macarons includes over 75 flavorful filling recipes and has a CD included with the book that has printable templates to make piping circles or unique shapes so much easier. Here’s a little sneak peek inside her book and a yummy recipe that you are going to what to make as soon as possible!
Gourmet French Macarons offers a unique and creative spin on a classic french cookie. It includes recipes, techniques, styling ideas, templates, and decorating tips that give the popular classic French macaron sandwich cookie a modern and whimsical makeover. This amazing book includes over 75 unique and creative designs to make your French macarons delicious AND adorable for any holiday, season, or life celebration.
Using this book you are no longer confined to the conventional circular shape! You can make apples, pumpkins, ghosts, trees, flowers, animals, cupcakes, and many other shapes to fit each season, holiday, or life celebration. My husband and his friends would go crazy for these on football Sunday.
Chocolate French Macarons with chocolate ganache filling
Modified from the book (some tips, tricks, and terminology excluded)
Free 1.5 in circle template download for this recipe: http://www.getcreativejuice.com/2013/08/macarons-basic-printable-template.html
Chocolate French Macarons
100g of egg whites aged at room temperature
Pinch of Cream of tartar
35g of superfine sugar
110g of Almond flour
200g of Powdered Sugar
10g cocoa powder
1. Measure out all ingredients using a gram scale
2. Prepare the baking sheets by lining them with a silicone mat or parchment paper. Slide a printed 1 ½ inch template sheet underneath and set aside. Prepare piping bag to be filled and set aside.
3. Sift powdered sugar, almond mixture, and cocoa powder together two or three times through a sieve and set aside.
4. Place the egg whites in a large bowl or in stand mixer with wire whisk attachment. Whisk on low until egg whites become foamy. Add the pinch of cream of tartar.
Continue to whisk until soft peaks form. Slowly add in the superfine sugar. Once all of the sugar is incorporated, scrape down the sides with a spatula.
5. Turn your mixer on medium-high and continue to whisk until you reach a stiff meringue. If adding liquid or gel food dye, do so toward the end of whisking
6. Sift 1/3 of the almond flour, powdered sugar, and cocoa powder mixture through the sieve and into the meringue. Fold the dry mixture into the meringue. Repeat with the remaining mixture. Once all of the dry ingredients are incorporated, the batter will be thick and have a dull shine. Continue to fold. As you do so, the batter will loosen. Stop folding when the batter has a glossy sheen, a “lava-like” consistency, and falls in a ribbon like manner off the spatula.
7. Transfer the batter into a large pastry bag fitted with a round tip and pipe 1½ inch rounds on the parchment paper following the template.
8. When all of the rounds are piped on the parchment, rap the sheet pans evenly on work surface a few times. Remove templates from below your parchment paper carefully. Let the batter rest at room temperature for 20-40 minutes.
9. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Reduce temperature to 300 degrees and bake one sheet at a time for 12 minutes rotating the pan half way through.
10. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
11. Match up similar size shells into pairs and sandwich with filling.
About 4 dozen 1.5 in shells (two dozen sandwiched macaron cookies)
Chocolate Ganache Filling
100 g (3.5 oz) chocolate*
1½ Tbsp. heavy cream
Place chocolate in a heat proof bowl.
Boil cream and pour over chocolate.
Stir until all the chocolate has melted and texture is smooth**
When warm, pipe onto macaron shells.
Notes from the author:
*I prefer to use the mini chocolate chips when possible to speed up the process.
** If the cream is not able to melt all the chocolate, place bowl in microwave. Heat for 20 seconds on low power. Remove and stir. Repeat until chocolate is fully melted.
I hope you are as excited about this book as I am! If you would like a chance to win a FREE copy, we’ve got a great giveaway starting today! Enter to win the giveaway using the Rafflecopter code below. One lucky winner will be chosen. Winner will be notified via email and they have 48 hours to respond to the email before a new winner is chosen. Good luck!